| ||We're dedicated to enriching the communities where we live and work because when the community flourishes, we all benefit. University Dining Services works with organizations like Urban Ventures and others to enrich lives at University of Minnesota and beyond. |
UDS partners with South Minneapolis non-profit organization Urban Ventures. Urban Ventures works to build a better community by providing youth leadership programs, education, training and work opportunities for those in need.
Local Purchases 2012
- 1,244,594 pounds of local dairy
- 176,479 pounds of local produce
- 26,060 pounds of local meat
- 89,004 pounds of cage free eggs
- 66,642 pounds of Fair Trade coffee
- 308 pounds of Fair Trade tea
- 4,163 pounds of CityKid Java True Trade coffee
- 14,814 pounds of Rainforest Alliance coffee
- 13,056 pounds of Silk Organic Soymilk
- 788 Local Grains (popcorn & wild rice)
CityKid Java Coffee
CityKid Java Coffee is a business endeavor designed to fund social programs for Urban Ventures. All CityKid Java coffees are “true trade;” meaning, they’re purchased at or above fair trade industry cost. Every dollar Urban Ventures earns from CityKid Java sales funds their community programming. UDS serves CityKid Java coffee in residential restaurants, Bistro West Restaurant and the Arboretum Restaurant at University of Minnesota's Landscape Arboretum. In 2012, we purchased 4,623 pounds of CityKid Java coffee.